The Many Faces of Food Fraud
We tend to have a limited view of fraud in the seafood industry:
- Intentionally packing short weight product by including the weight of the glaze as part of the net weight of the product
- Selling fish as a different species
- Transshipping product through another country to avoid paying duties or complying with FDA import alert
But look at these other examples of fraud that FDA has dealt with in the past week:
- Cheese importers arrested for selling contaminated cheese that was refused entry into the US (and avoiding re-exportation with decoy product).
- Theft from cargo and warehouses of FDA-regulated products such as medicines, vaccines, medical devices and infant formula.
- Consumer sentenced to jail time for making a false claim of glass in bottled water.
It’s amazing what people are willing to do.